Wednesday, September 17, 2008

8th Graders say the darnest things...

Eighth graders say the darnest things!!!...Sometimes its good to just laugh so I wanted to share a funny moment I just encountered. I teach an abstinence program in my county in all the middle school 8th grade classes. I have a moment as I'm giving my great speech that requires classroom participation. I ask the student’s questions and reassuring them "no question is a stupid question". This is their opportunity to ask those questions they have always wanted to ask to an adult so take advantage of the opportunity. Yes, I was setting myself up for disaster! I've taught these classes for about four years and I'm always surprise to hear some of the questions and comments.  I could tell you some stories; I will share more at later time. Back to the story...There is a point in the class where I ask the students to list Viral and Non-Viral diseases. As the students where listing the diseases anything they thought may be an STD, one student with a straight face and as serious as they could be asked me is Autism a STD. I almost lost it...many times students cannot pronounce the words so they will say something close to the spelling. Okay parents we have to do better job communicating about sex to our children, we have eighth graders thinking Autism is a Sexually transmitted disease! I have great hope for this generation. I do for real...all jokes aside.

No comments: