I'm sitting here watching MTV. I heard about a new show entitled
Sex...with mom and dad. The concept is great, I like any avenue to get parents and their children communicating. The show is about students who are curious about having sex and some who are already engaged in a sexual relationship. One thing I was surprised to see was the standards that the parents had on the show. They had a standard of abstinence, Wow! The parents did not understand how to convey the message. Dr. Drew then give them task to work on to provoke conversation and understanding. He did not seem in favor of abstinence. It seemed he favored the comprehensive sex education model. The show encourages parents to accept their child's decision, I have a problem with that mindset (I will address in another blog). I don't think the consequences are clearly laid out for the children on that show, no statistics are used. There is not enough focus on
life and the "why" in the decisions they are choosing sex. Kids need guidance and unconditional love regardless of their decisions. With many decisions there are consequences and sadly some are deadly. Give those you teach and parent the full Truth! As parents, you must
Communicate, Guide(Direct) and Pray.
- Start by discussing your past decisions with your kids good and bad. Your child needs to know you are human.
- Set a standard and be the example with your own choices. Don't expect your child to do something you are not doing.
- Love your child through their mistakes. We all make mistakes and that's why we serve a God that is forgiving and loves us unconditionally. How can we expect the Lord to forgive us when we cannot forgive our children.
- Be strategic and intentional about your conversations with your children. Take advantage of car rides , dinner and watching TV to discuss issues with your children.
I think its important for children to not just fear the consequences but to fear what
SIN does to their life and their relationship with the Lord. Parent the heart not the head, that's not an easy task but the only way. It teaches discipline and obedience unto the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment