Saturday, October 18, 2008

I am Woman Hear Me Roar...Leading without Testosterone Part 1

I have developed over the years as leader.  As I look back, many of the issues I’ve faced have not been because there is a lack of testosterone or the presence of melanin in my skin.  It has been because of my on personal hang-ups.  This has been a journey about discovering, embracing and walking as the person God has created me to become.  Because once you discover that there’s not a person alive that can disqualify you, tear you down, look over you, remove you or STOP YOU, anything’s possible.  It’s about perspective.  My battle and struggles have been with my inward self and not others.  Because of past experiences, I have struggled with confidence in certain areas and battled fears and insecurities which affect me as a leader. So sometimes you may tend to blame others, but as you examine yourself at the core, you discover things you sometimes don’t even know exist. Ultimately, it’s not about testosterone.  Having plenty of that can still make you a terrible leader.

 Leaders are classified by their character and their servant heart that reflects the heart of Jesus.  There are many qualities that make great leaders, and neither gender nor race are included. So it’s not about men being better leaders.  It’s about the leader God has called you to become.  Leadership styles may differ between genders, and that may make you a great or a poor leader.  Let’s look again at a few qualities of a leader: Integrity, Vision, Willingness to listen, Willingness to serve, Adaptability, Trust, Communication, Confidence, Influence, Being inspiring, Being a motivator, Patience, Passion, Perseverance, Teamwork, Wisdom, and Problem Solving. These qualities don’t require a specific gender, race or ethnicity.  They require a condition of the heart which can only be purified through a relationship with Jesus Christ.  My journey as female African- American leader in youth ministry may not have been your story but it’s a story.  All of our stories are different.  All of our challenges are different.  My discovery is on-going.  I’m challenged each week in some way.  At the end of the day, for me it’s about knowing who God has called me to be.  With that comes the courage and boldness that allows me to overcome any obstacle.   So, no I don’t have much testosterone, I’m not an aggressive woman, and sometimes I lack the boldness I need.  Many times I let my insecurities take over.  But at the end of the day, I’m a woman of God who has been called to serve this generation and I just happen to be African-American. I’m a leader who lacks testosterone, and that’s alright.  I’m becoming just who the Father intended for me to become as I mature and grow! So if you are facing challenges because of rules, prejudices, fears or insecurities, know that the Lord is with you, He sees you, He will comfort you.  Be bold, courageous and stand firm. If He has called you, He has prepared you to pass every test that will come your way.

Scriptures that guide:

·          Isaiah 40:31

·          Hebrews 13:

·          Isaiah 43:2

·          Philippians 4:13  

·          Joshua 1:9

·          Psalm 118:5-6   

Books to read:

Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Why Not You 28 days to Authentic Confidence by Valorie Burton

What’s really holding you Back by Valorie Burton

Living the Life you were Meant to Live by Tom Paterson

21 Qualities of a Leader by John Maxwell

The Making of a Leader by Frank Damazio

No comments: